Well as I begin to scribe this it’s 11:36pm on the 21st of March which now makes me 40 years old!!!! How did my day go?? Well for most of the day, uneventful apart from all the Facebook love. I’m not complaining about this as I had a very relaxing day. Last year I was caught in a flood and found myself stranded at a servo with all the other stranded souls wanting to get home. Lets just say it was one of the most eventful birthdays I had ever encountered so this year I was counting on some down time!!
So as I reflect upon reaching the big 40 milestone I sit and ponder of the year I was born. It was 1972 and being that I am interested in history I thought I might share some of the things that occurred in 1972.
- 1972 was a leap year
- The first hand-held scientific calendar is introduced
- Pakistan withdraws from the Commonwealth of nations
- Volkswagen Beetles sells more cars than Ford Model T
- Mariner 9 sends pictures from Mars
- The Soviet unmanned spaceship Luna 20 lands on the moon
- Apollo 16 is launched
- The Aboriginal Embassy was set up
- Piping Lane was the Melbourne cup winner
- Gerard Kennedy won the Gold logie
- The Godfather, The Poseidon Adventure and Deliverance were among the top grossing films for the year
- Some of the songs people were listing to on the radio US: Heart of gold, A horse with no name and The first time ever I saw your face. The UK Telegram Sam, Without you and Vincent
- Number 96 debuts on Aussie TV and so does Aunty Jack and here is the song Farewell Aunty Jack
- William McMahon then Gough Whitlam were Prime Minister of Australia
- Here’s a bunch of people born in 1972!! Some people on that list I have no idea who they are!!!!!
- Some popular books published in this year was The Diddakoi by Rummer Godden, Watership Down by Richard Adams and The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
Well there is just a few things among the many things that occur in just one year. For me the important event was that I was born and got to be alive. 40 years doesn’t feel that long and I don’t feel old, I feel like the best is yet to come!!!